Saturday 19 April 2014

Today I tried canvassing for the first time - and loved it!

My name is Garry MacDonald and I'm one of the Yes Provan Co-ordinators but I, myself, had until today never canvassed. I would leaflet or work on the street stalls but I had my doubts about canvassing. However, I was convinced by Anne McLaughlin (another of the co-ordinators) to come along on Saturday 19th April to one of the canvass training days in Robroyston.

There was no pressure as you are ‘teamed up’ with one of the experienced canvassers and go to the doors in pairs. We moved around each canvasser in turn, so that we could learn the various approaches used when speaking to people at the door.

Well, after an hour or so (and because we had an odd number out), I decided to ‘go it alone’ for the remaining hour and I am so glad I did.

It was a fantastic experience and it really built up my confidence in canvassing. It really isn’t frightening at all. Just look at the happy smiling face (I'm front left). Kirsten, second from the right is 17 and she loves it.

So come on, all those of you still swithering about speaking to people, come out to one of the canvass training sessions (or book yourself on one of the workshops - next one Tuesday 13th May) and give it a go, you will be surprised at just how enjoyable it is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment